One of the memories I have from becoming a Young Women, was how intimidated I was by the Young Women theme. When everyone stood up and recited it on that first Sunday, I remember thinking how embarrassing it would be if I didn't memorize it too, and quick!
In the Faith In God book, one of the requirements is "Talk with the beehive class presidency or a member of the Young Women presidency about the purpose and importance of the Young Women program."
On the cover of the Personal Progress book it says "Standing As A Witness Of God", and I wanted to make that theme very clear throughout this activity. As the requirement says, you can invite the beehive class presidency (or I think just one beehive would still be great) to the activity to talk about the purpose and importance of the Young Women program.
There are 5 tournament stations (Matching, Searching, Solving, Arranging, Questioning). The idea is that there are at least two girls at each station. If you have a lot of girls, then you can put your girls in pairs and have four at each station, so there's two that get to work together. They have a scorecard, and the girl with the most points at the end, WINS! Each station has a table tent with the station name, and instructions on the back for the girls to know what to do.
1. Matching - Take turns matching each value with its definition. For each match you get, you get 2 points. Don't worry, there's a cheat sheet just in case you need one :)
2. Searching - Race the other team in searching the scripture on each value. Place all the cards face down, and when everyone is ready, you can turn one over. The first person to the scripture gets to read the scripture to everyone, and wins. They also get to choose the next card to turn over. 2 points for every time to win the scripture search.
3. Solving - Just like working on our Personal Progress can help us to become more like our Heavenly Father, use the key to solve this riddle and find out the Young Women Motto! 5 points for solving the riddle.
4. Arranging - Put the YW theme in the correct order. Have two of these word scrambles printed. The two teams can race each other and the first team to put the theme in the correct order, wins!
5. Answering - I didn't have a copy of a personal progress book at my home, but this station is for the girls to get a look a personal progress book, and ask questions about Young Women's. If you can have a beehive come, they can sit at this station and answer any questions the girls might have as they look through a Personal Progress book. 1 point for every question the girls ask.
At the end of the activity, give the girls this handout to put in their scriptures so they have easy access to the theme, especially for those first few months on Sunday when they it :)